Anonymous contributions

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Fri Apr 12 07:38:15 BST 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 08:17:55 CEST Eike Hein wrote:

> Pseudonyms don't jive with that for me. Someone not entrusting me with
> their real name feels regressive vs. our current community standards.
> It's a bit uncomfortable.

I trust you with my real name. Not with my legal name. That's only for the
authorities, and only because it's very difficult and expensive (and perhaps not
even possible because I don't have any officially sanctioned reasons) to change
one's name in the country I live in. I don't feel my name is a "pseudonym"
even though it's not the one on my government ID.

I've declined participating in some projects (not KDE) because they required a
legal name. I'm not known by mine in any context that matters to me, and
though I wouldn't be in any actual danger by using it, I'd only be (a)
uncomfortable and (b) unrecognisable. I hardly recognise it myself in any non-
official context; it doesn't describe what I think of as "me".

The situation is worse for people who *are* in danger from using their legal
name; even if they're not doing anything illegal, sometimes it's best to keep
the name on one's government ID to oneself and use a different one to interact
with the world. This need not be a nickname! (I have several different
nicknames, none of them being "Irina Rempt".)

   Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.
Beghinnen can ick, volherden will' ick, volbringen sal ick.