Anonymous contributions

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Fri Apr 12 07:17:55 BST 2019

I'm a bit conflicted about this. Random drive-by patches are one thing,
but when I engage with new contributors, my hope is they'll be coming
back and walk a path to a dev account and a long-term commitment to the
KDE developer community.

To me, the KDE developer community is one built on trust relationships.
We hand out write access based on peer-review, and we're generally
comfortable that the person committing to our repositories is supposed
to be doing so, because they're on board with the etiquette.

Pseudonyms don't jive with that for me. Someone not entrusting me with
their real name feels regressive vs. our current community standards.
It's a bit uncomfortable.

I know there's a lot of counters to this (some people value their
self-elected nicknames more than their given names; some people have
legitimate reasons, e.g. safety, to want to stay anonymous, and so on).
It's not a trivial matter, and I'm not necessarily taking a stand.

Cheers,
Eike