Don't shoot the messenger (was Re: KDE now has its own Matrix

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:22:20 GMT 2019

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 11:54 AM Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 02:06:26PM +0100, Paul Brown wrote:
> > What the subject says. Please address your concerns to the people who
> made the
> > decision and passed down the bullet points of the text.
>
> Posts on KDE Dot News should be reviewed by other Dot editors which
> this one doesn't seem to have been, and editors should take
> reposonsibility for the contents rather than hide behind some
> anonymous decision makers, this is not how we work in KDE.
>
> Jonathan

Folks, please remember how we work in KDE -- in teams, as Jon reminds us.
The KDE Dot editors, just like the rest of the KDE community teams,
welcomes new members. The people who step up to write, to translate, to
make graphics, to write and review code, even to administer teams and
programs -- all are open, welcome new people and think together to make our
community and our products the best possible.

Sometimes this means questioning the direction we're heading, and offering
a new vision. I believe that we are resilient because we're open to
criticism, and willing to evaluate our own ideas and behavior. Over the
past couple of years I've seen us grow stronger and more effective because
of the strength of our teams.

When you are upset about some aspect of an action that has been taken,
please type your angry email and then -- before clicking send -- walk away
from your computer and do something else. Think about how you can help make
the situation better, and then return to your computer. Re-read that angry
email and think about how you can recast your response to be helpful, and
not just angry. I don't mean that anger isn't justified or even useful.
Anger can fuel us to speak up in the face of evil even when we're afraid.
But it can also fuel controversy that doesn't make us better.

Use your anger, grief, fear or even dis-quiet to make us all better.

Love to all,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez