KDE now has its own Matrix infrastructure

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed Feb 20 14:37:32 GMT 2019

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 2:30 PM Hans Tovetjärn <totte at chakralinux.org>
wrote:

> On onsdag 20 februari 2019 kl. 15:07:09 CET Agustin Benito (toscalix)
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 1:52 PM Hans Tovetjärn <totte at chakralinux.org>
> wrote:

> > > In what way? You can connect and authenticate via TSL/SSL. If you
> bridge
> > > Matrix rooms and IRC channels, I don't think end-to-end encryption will
> > > work, so that doesn't matter anyway.
> >
> > from what I see in IRC/telegram promo related channels, there are
> > already discussions to be accurate when referring to IRC. It wouldn't
> > surprise me if corrections are on their way.
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Agustin
>
> Yes. The original text:
>
> "IRC has been a good solution for a long time, but it has centralized
> servers
> KDE cannot control. It is also insecure and lacks features users have come
> expect from more modern IM services."
>
> ...has been replaced with:
>
> "IRC has been a good solution for a long time, but our channels are
> currently
> on servers KDE cannot control. It also lacks features users have come to
> expect from more modern IM services."

1. Why does KDE need to control these channels?

2. This is still not a selling point for Matrix against IRC to be honest.
Because one can set up an IRC server just as well as a Matrix server. So, I
would not mention this in the article.

I have the gut feeling that what KDE can only fairly claim is that some
people prefer Matrix over IRC. We are all different and that is fine. I
would not even use the term "better" or "worse" for either. It is just
different. That is all. It is ok to be different though.