KDE now has its own Matrix infrastructure

Hans Tovetjärn totte at chakralinux.org
Wed Feb 20 14:30:38 GMT 2019

On onsdag 20 februari 2019 kl. 15:07:09 CET Agustin Benito (toscalix) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 1:52 PM Hans Tovetjärn <totte at chakralinux.org>
wrote:
> > On onsdag 20 februari 2019 kl. 13:36:37 CET Paul Brown wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > KDE has been looking for a better way of chatting and live-sharing of
> > > information for several years now. IRC has been a good solution for a
> > > long
> > > time, but has centralized servers KDE cannot control, it is also
> > > insecure
> >
> > In what way? You can connect and authenticate via TSL/SSL. If you bridge
> > Matrix rooms and IRC channels, I don't think end-to-end encryption will
> > work, so that doesn't matter anyway.
>
> from what I see in IRC/telegram promo related channels, there are
> already discussions to be accurate when referring to IRC. It wouldn't
> surprise me if corrections are on their way.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Agustin

Yes. The original text:

"IRC has been a good solution for a long time, but it has centralized servers
KDE cannot control. It is also insecure and lacks features users have come to
expect from more modern IM services."

...has been replaced with:

"IRC has been a good solution for a long time, but our channels are currently
on servers KDE cannot control. It also lacks features users have come to
expect from more modern IM services."

The article is alright now.

--
Best regards,