Touch Screens and KDE

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 14:32:43 GMT 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 8:29 AM Jacky Alcine <jackyalcine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey y'all!
>
> I'm curious about peoples' thoughts and any developments in the space of touch
> screens for KDE. I use a Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 [1] as my main laptop / machine
> but I can't see me using my touch screen for it a lot outside of me doing stuff
> with VLC.

Hi,
Is your touchscreen working correctly? if so you can play with it
especially developing QML based applications, which is way easier to
develop touchscreen optimized stuff with it rather than normal QWIdget
apps.
take a look at http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-multipointtoucharea.html

> I also am curious if this is more of a systems thing that's below KDE (like
> within X11/Wayland) that I have to look into. I want to get a decent stylus

you need touchscren drivers to work correctly, then you're set.
another thing that is relevant, is the sensor that knows when you
flipped it (a recent kernel patch i sent exactly for some dell
inspiron 2 in 1) so with a recent kernel and wayland, Kirigami
applications automatically change some details of the ui when you flip
the laptop to tablet mode.

> (might invest in the suggested one by Dell)[2] and see how it fares. I don't
> have Windows on here but I do know that there's mention of it being able to
> launch OneNote and people handle notes from there.
I guess so far our software with best pen support is Krita, their
developers can explain better what could be more needed there

--
Marco Martin