Discourse

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Dec 4 11:48:48 GMT 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 12:03 PM Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame at kde.org> wrote:

> Il giorno Tue, 4 Dec 2018 11:58:27 +0100
> Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> ha scritto:
>
> > > Is it  Akismet in name, or uses the service?
> > I am not sure what that means I am afraid.
>
> Akismet is a (non-Free) antispam service used originally by
> Wordpress.com, optionally self-hosted WP, but now used also by other
> software. It looks, from the name, that this plugin interrogates
> Akismet. IIRC only "personal" usage used to be free (but I haven't been
> checking in years, so this might be all wrong).

Aha!

"Akismet is a well known service that has an algorithm for detecting
spam. Akismet is NOT free for commerical use, but can be for personal
use. To use this plugin you will need an Akismet API key. You can get
a key by starting out here."
https://github.com/discourse/discourse-akismet

So, yeah, no goody.

OTOH I also don't understand how the current spam protection works. Do
we maintain a list of blacklisted words? Because from what I
understand discourse has that built in. Along with blocking by IP.

HS