Policy on stale bugs (was Re: Closing NEEDSINFO bugs after 30 days)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Nov 16 11:50:51 GMT 2018

On vrijdag 16 november 2018 10:37:08 CET Luigi Toscano wrote:

> the (semi)automated process which pings and then closes NEEDINFO bugs was
> implemented, but I've noticed another policy which was never discussed (as
> far as I know) here: bugs opened for a while
>
> I disagree with this policy, and I'm not alone (at least another maintainer
> asked for his product to be excluded):
> - not all projects distinguished between CONFIRMED and UNCONFIRMED (now
> REPORTED), so it's possible that a perfectly valid bug or request
> (especially requests) seems stale. You may say that it's easy to flip the
> status again. I'd say that it's a unneeded step.
> - at most the script could add a new comment asking for updates, but not
> immediately change the status out of the blue.
> - as mentioned, it was not discussed.
>
> Please disable it for now, or just enable it for projects who explicitly
> wants it for now.

I know it's well-meant, and it does help to get old bugs resolved -- but it
really should use a script that checks whether the original reporter has added
a comment since it was set to needinfo, and in that case just reopen it.

I know that the script that was intended to do that didn't work, and I've
tried to figure out whether I could fix it, but failed in that. But right now,
the closing to WORKSFOME plays havoc with my bugzilla routine -- and worse, it
makes me hesitate to put bugs in the NEEDINFO state.

--
https://www.krita.org