help desk vs bug tracker

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 18:57:09 GMT 2018

Am 2018-10-29 19:22, schrieb David Edmundson:
>> I'm also wondering whether other KDE projects have the
>  seem need as we have for Krita,
>
> With my Plasma hat on:
>
> Surprisingly, we don't get too many end user questions on bugzilla. I
> think it tends to get loaded onto the distros instead.
>
> We do get quite a few where the user thinks they have a bug but it's
> an issue on their end but I don't think a helpdesk would solve them.

What I see in KWin quite often is: "foo doesn't work" or "KWin should do
bar". And then you tell them how to enable the feature or that KWin
already supports it. This is so common that I consider this as one of
the huge pain point in bugzilla. For me that falls under "user support"
and I think a helpdesk system could improve the situation (Obviously it
requires users going there and if a user knows something like "KWin"
exists and can report a bug against it it's a lost case - a user
shouldn't know KWin exists).

Cheers
Martin