Discourse

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 15:45:54 GMT 2018

On 10/29/18 1:31 PM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> More coverage on last week's LWN
> https://lwn.net/Articles/768483/
>
> Discussing it in person it was pointed out that we do already use
> Phabricator Workboards for much discussion and it might well overlap
> there, although I don't think that would be any more of an issue than
> mailing lists overlapping.

When I read that LWN article some time ago, it struck me that the Python
and Fedora communities are very different from ours in that they were
still doing most of their development discussions on mailing lists,
whereas we've migrated nearly all of the ones we don't have in chats
anyway to Phabricator. That means the need for Discourse isn't quite the
same, and it also does mean to me that Phabricator and Discourse might
end up stepping on each others' toes and cause more fragementation. I
prefer a single thing over two things, I guess.

On the users forums replacement angle I can't really comment.

> Jonathan

Cheers,
Eike