Discourse

Christian Loosli kde at fuchsnet.ch
Tue Oct 30 10:22:53 GMT 2018

Hi all,

from what I get from the documentation, discourse has a mailing list mode
which can, from a end user point of view, be used the same as a mailing list.
As in: in a mail client, without additional config that would not be needed
with a ML as well.

So assuming we have

1) Sysadmins who are willing to install, configure and host this
2) A migration path for
2a) existing conversations
2b) our mailing lists and, more important, whether public or private and who
should be subscribed

I don't see why not. If it doesn't have the mailing list mode or if it doesn't
work as I suspect it to, I'd be between very hesitant and against it, because
I most definitely prefer my e-mail client over yet another crappy web app that
is placed in a view and sold as client.
If we don't have the migration path I'd be hesitant as well, unless we have a
decent solution to

- have continuity and not a sudden break / change, as there are ongoing
conversations  (and running both in parallel is very bad)
- make sure we have the manpower and plan to migrate lists and their
permissions over

Kind regards,

Christian

PS: on the side discussion of docker: I am not against docker, we use it in
(soon to be) production, we orchestrate it with OpenShift. But I do have to
say that it is something entirely different and thus needs people willing and
able to manage it, and this also needs planning on how to integrate it in
already existing infrastructure, also security wise. So if we don't have infra
people already comfortable with docker, do plan some extra time to build that
up.

PPS: I am still not terribly fond of the argumentation "we have to move to
$some_fancy_new_shit_software or otherwise people will leave us". If people
are contributing to / be with KDE just because of our choice of infra
software, we are most definitely doing something wrong. But I already went on
about that during the anti-IRC discussion.