help desk vs bug tracker

Scott Petrovic scottpetrovic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:04:30 GMT 2018

I think "bot" isn't really the best term to describe what a Q&A site is --
or what AskBot does. When I think of "bot", I think of some type of AI that
tries to chat with people or interacts with them as if they are a person. I
am pretty sure Askbot doesn't work like that. It is closer to something
like StackOverflow.

This issue might only pertain to Krita, but this is how it currently tries
to separate issues with artists

   - bug tracker tracking bugs and wishlist items
   - forum that is a generic bucket that has a lot of things (discussion
   about new artwork, people wanting new features, people asking about bugs or
   issues, people wanting to be involved, general discussion)
   - chatroom (IRC) real-time support if the developers are at their
   computer

I feel like this Q&A site's job is more focused on answering very specific
questions that might be asked frequently (and developers can look up
quickly and reference). Right now with the forum and Krita, there are quite
a few questions that are asked over and over which get a bit tiring. I
imagine some people aren't even searching because of how the forum is set
up. Searches also bring back discussions about artwork, feature requests,
or other discussions not related to the question. The forum search also
searches across all KDE products, which can be a bit confusing at times for
people that don't know that searching the forum will search across all KDE
products, not just Krita.

Scott Petrovic