What could be helpful to get contributor training on?

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Fri Mar 9 08:22:58 GMT 2018

On jueves, 8 de marzo de 2018 21:40:00 (CET) Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Dear KDE community,
> With the $200k donation from the Pineapple Fund [1], we have some money
> available which we can invest in KDE’s future. We are currently thinking
> about what to best invest in, and one of the ideas was to pay for
> professional training in some skills for contributors. For that, we’d like
> to know which skills would be most useful for us to have in order to take
> KDE further?
>
> This can be soft or hard skills, but it would probably make sense to train
> things which we don’t already learn naturally from our collaboration
> anyway.
>
> So, what do you think?
>
> Thank you in advance for your input,
> Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Would these courses have to be distance, online learning? Or could they be
intensive, on-site courses organised at KDE gatherings, like Akademy,
something like two day workshops?

On my wishlist would be:

- *Creative writing* - to help everybody improve their blogging and
presentation-composing skills.

- *Public speaking* - to help everybody deliver better talks.

If we are going to try and captivate larger audiences, we want to be able to
communicate better. Having developers, that already have a deep knowledge of
their own technology, be able to explain it in clear and interesting way, will
help with that at internal and external events.

I know for a fact that Sun used to do this for people they sent to speaking
venues, and you could always tell.

I know many people think they can write because the have knowledge of spelling
and grammar, or speak in public because they have... well, mouths, but this is
a fallacy. There are plenty of things to learn to know how to structure and
compose a text, be it for a blog post, product announcement or script for a
presentation; as well as plenty of techniques you can acquire to make your
talks more interesting, bot at the organisational level and during the
execution.

I, for one, would love to attend courses on this.

Cheers

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication