What could be helpful to get contributor training on?

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 21:39:08 GMT 2018

Hey Boud,

Sorry for the confusion. Some replies inline.

https://dot.kde.org/2018/02/19/kde-receives-200000-usd-donation-pineapple-fund

>> we have some money
>> available which we can invest in KDE’s future. We are currently thinking
>> about what to best invest in, and one of the ideas was to pay for
>> professional training in some skills for contributors.
>
> Guess I missed that in the discussion on the KDE e.V. mailing list? Was this
> discussed somewhere else? In fact, I don't remember having seen "professional
> training in some skills" being discussed at all...

It was one of the things I mentioned in my email asking for
suggestions and it has been brought up in some of the chats I've had
with people who approached me with ideas and wishes.
We are currently in the process of getting a better understanding of
some of the suggestions including figuring out how much they would
cost and how much demand and need there is for it.

>> For that, we’d like
>> to know which skills would be most useful for us to have in order to take
>> KDE further?
>
> And who are these "we"?

The board.

>> This can be soft or hard skills, but it would probably make sense to train
>> things which we don’t already learn naturally from our collaboration
>> anyway.
>>
>> So, what do you think?
>
> That I'm once again feeling totally out of touch, because your mail doesn't
> seem at all to reflect anything that I've seen up to now.

Sorry for the confusion. As I said above it is only one part of the
research into the ideas that are on the table so far.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org