Let's get rid of UNCONFIRMED/CONFIRMED

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Tue Feb 27 13:45:51 GMT 2018

On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 13:43:17 CET Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 13:30:12 CET Paul Brown wrote:
> > Is it true that users get confused by the bugtracking system? If so, this
> > is an issue, right?
>
> Well, users can get confused by _everything_.

If a service is confusing for the target it is designed for, then should it
not be the job of the implementers to change it so it isn't?

> Though I probably have more
> absolutely non-technical users reporting bugs than most other KDE projects.
> I haven't seen many signs of users being confused by UNCONFIRMED vs
> CONFIRMED, though.
>
> I'm all for making the initial reporting of bugs as smooth as possible for
> users... Though really, I don't need any more bug reports.

Are you the only one dealing with bugs?

> And after that,
> giving me more information when I ask for it, that would be useful as well.

Then maybe think of ways of making that easy to do?

> * It would be useful if users could embed images and videos instead of
> creating attachments.
> * It would be useful if users could use rich text in their reports.
> * It would be useful if users could sign in with their cloud identities
> (horrible though that idea is).
> * It would be useful if bugzilla and the forum used the same login.
> * It would even be useful if we could add badges or something like that to
> tell the reporter "thank you for your report" with a nice graphic

This ties in well with the onboarding of new contributors project.

> But messing with the statuses that basically define the workflow for the
> developer because we think that users will feel happier seeing NEW than
> UNCONFIRMED doesn't sound too useful to me.

Maybe, but whatever the solution, you'd be well-advised to start studying
carefully what users do now. Otherwise, whatever you try to implement will be
based on possibly false assumptions and prejudice and will have a higher
chance of failing.

Cheers

Paul
--