Let's get rid of UNCONFIRMED/CONFIRMED

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Feb 27 12:43:17 GMT 2018

On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 13:30:12 CET Paul Brown wrote:

> Is it true that users get confused by the bugtracking system? If so, this is
> an issue, right?

Well, users can get confused by _everything_. Though I probably have more
absolutely non-technical users reporting bugs than most other KDE projects. I
haven't seen many signs of users being confused by UNCONFIRMED vs CONFIRMED,
though.

I'm all for making the initial reporting of bugs as smooth as possible for
users... Though really, I don't need any more bug reports. And after that,
giving me more information when I ask for it, that would be useful as well.

* It would be useful if users could embed images and videos instead of
creating attachments.
* It would be useful if users could use rich text in their reports.
* It would be useful if users could sign in with their cloud identities
(horrible though that idea is).
* It would be useful if bugzilla and the forum used the same login.
* It would even be useful if we could add badges or something like that to
tell the reporter "thank you for your report" with a nice graphic

But messing with the statuses that basically define the workflow for the
developer because we think that users will feel happier seeing NEW than
UNCONFIRMED doesn't sound too useful to me.

If we want to change that, let's change it in a way that will support people
triaging a thousand bugs or so a year.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org