Regarding KDE Chat Solution

Severino Ferrer de la Peñita seve at mailbox.org
Sun Feb 18 20:56:18 GMT 2018

Hello everyone.

When I was at FOSDEM this year, I was told about KDE moving away from IRC and looking for something else.
I'm not involved in KDE as an active contributor or developer, but I'm a happy KDE software user, so this felt really close to me.

After trying to follow the discussions on the mailing list, I was hugely surprised that XMPP was not being mentioned.
That encouraged me to send this email.

I don't know if someone else already asked for the same thing. I apologise if that's the case.

I have created this table: https://github.com/SeveFP/KDE_IM_Requirements/wiki/XMPP-Table

based on the one at https://community.kde.org/IM_Survey_Results

I was not sure if I was allowed to modify the current table at https://community.kde.org, that's why I started creating one by myself first, to let you check it.

It has been a long time, trying to check all emails and blog posts. If there's any requirement empty it's probably because I didn't understand what it means.

Let me point out that XMPP is a safe bet for years to come, as it's a widely deployed living standard.
Being this such an important move, I would like you to think about XMPP as an option.

Personally, KDE has been doing awesome work with KTP and I would love to see more work in this direction with XMPP.

Also, a mention to https://kdetalk.net/ is well deserved.

The XMPP community is really great, welcoming and active. Don't hesitate to approach it, you won't be disappointed!

Thank you for your time,

Severino Ferrer de la Peñita.