FOSDEM retrospective

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Feb 8 22:27:29 GMT 2018

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 20:15:48 CET tetris4 wrote:
> My main suggestion for future improvement would be to be more prepared and
> strategic. The main question to answer is: What does KDE want to achieve by
> running a booth at a specific event?

Well-said. There's two aspects:
 - why are we here (at this specific event)?
 - what message do we want to spread?

Note that for QtWS those were well-answered, in advance, and Eike
(coordinator) made sure that the team knew what the answers were. For FOSDEM,
not so much -- in the course of the weekend we developed a good story for the
second part, but it would have been good to have that ready at the start.

FOSDEM is perhaps a little special: there's a lot of other nerds there, so the
questions we get are different and more wide-ranging than we might get at an
industry event. (e.g. activities, e.g. Sanskrit input methods, e.g. keyboard
layouts with tall enter keys).

This is partly a thing to coordinate with the -promo team.

[ade]