bugzilla, it's products, how they relate to projects. it's a mess...

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Jan 29 11:25:24 GMT 2018

Hola!

Every other month I run my head into the desk over bugzilla products -.-

- 99% of time if I want to file a bug against a new project that
project has no product in bugzilla at all
- unmaintained-ness is not reflected. you can file bugs against
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=blogilo all you want no one
will care as it is unmaintained (which BTW is also a problem
cgit/phab has)
- product spelling inconsistent (upcase-downcase-somecase)
- product name has zero relationship to ANYTHING (can be made up
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Active or the repo name
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=blinken or have a prefix
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=frameworks-kdewebkit or a
project can also be a component in another product
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Breeze&component=Icons)
- sometimes there's multiple products?!?
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=frameworks-kdesu vs.
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=kdesu vs.
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=kde-cli-tools [the latter I
only mention because I happen to know that kdesu is part of it]

I don't like going to our bugzilla.
Not being able to file a bug because I can't find the product is so
very frustrating and sad.

Can we please establish a workflow so that every project we run has a
bugzilla product with suitable name (step for sysadmins when creating
new repos)?

HS