Input on privacy goal

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Mon Jan 22 12:49:05 GMT 2018

I'm planning to continue my work to modernize the user interface of
Konversation and adding Matrix support.

Based on the IM Survey we did recently spearheaded by Thomas Pfeiffer,
we know the community has a problem with the increasing fragmentation
and migration of KDE's comm channels to proprietary solutions like
Telegram, which can compromise privacy e.g. by requiring a SIM card
to make an account, among other concerns. According to the survey,
this does not sit well with the community.

On the other hand, the community also desires rich clients with a
nice modern UI and features like image sharing, on both the desktop
and handsets. Free solutions don't check all the boxes here at the
moment. The one that does it all is missing, and people are left
making a choice for either side of the divide this has created.

It's my opinion that a Kirigami-based Konversation with Matrix
support is currently the most viable path toward to meeting our
needs and bringing privacy and security back to our communication.

Cheers,
Eike