Downtime notification - IRC services

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Jan 10 07:44:54 GMT 2018

Hi all,

As part of our mitigation efforts for Meltdown and Spectre, we need to
reboot the physical machine which hosts a series of services,
including our various IRC Bots, the bouncer (ZNC) and Jabber server
(kdetalk.net).

Due to limits imposed by Freenode on rapid reconnection, it may take a
few hours before everyone has reconnected to the Freenode network
following this restart.

To minimize disruption we are scheduling this restart to take place
around 1am UTC tomorrow.

Users of the ZNC instance should ensure that they enable the
'savebuff' module within their account to allow them to receive any
backscroll which takes place after their last client disconnects but
before the system reboot.

Should anyone have any questions please let us know.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin