Goal: Improve Plasma Mobile platform for end-user needs

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Mon Sep 4 22:10:34 BST 2017

Hi Bhushan,

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Bhushan Shah <bhush94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello KDE community,
>
> For big-hairy-audacious-goal here is my proposal
>
> "Improve Plasma Mobile platform for end-user needs"
>
> I believe that after doing work on Desktop for almost ~21 years, it
> makes sense to explore the new form factor. While we are offering the
> privacy and security centric opensource products for the Desktop, we
> should also attempt our best in providing same products for Mobile as
> well.
>
> I've written proposal in details at the Phabricator board [1]. Feel free
> to give feedback or ideas.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://phabricator.kde.org/T6878

In general, I like the idea very much. A lot of work was put into
Plasma mobile, and recent activities and events (e.g. postmarketOS)
indiacate there is still interest also outside of the KDE community.

What I would propose to give this a big push is this ambitious goal:
At the next Akademy, give every KDE contributor some handy device, and
make a workshop day where essentially everyone will install plasma
mobile on this. This would result in everyone having to go through the
bootstrapping and maybe some initial development. This would lower the
burden of getting into Plasma mobile development and maybe the entire
software stack significantly. At the same time we would push a strong
message to the outside world: Namely that our software makes a
difference and is alive and kicking.

Of course this is a lot of work. In particular, we would need to find
a way to get ca. 100 devices that will run Plasma mobile. But I think
it can be done, maybe in collaboration with postmarketOS developers.
Even if we don't reach the end users here, getting more technically
versed closer to KDE and this project would possibly be a side-effect.

Worth to investigate?

Greetings
Dominik