Goal: Making KDE software the #1 choice for science and academia

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Thu Aug 31 19:06:24 BST 2017

> Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 22:09:04 +0200
> From: Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>
> To: informing about and discussing non-technical community topics
> 	<kde-community at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: Goal: Making KDE software the #1 choice for science and
> 	academia
>
> On 2017 M08 30, Wed 16:20:07 CEST Luca Beltrame wrote:
>
> > In fact I think it would be worthwhile to present such options. I've
> > seen KDE software used in places I did not expect (e.g. a research
> > institute in agrobiology I visited a few years ago).
> >
> > That said, I think it would be also a good idea to see "what makes our
> > software palatable for R&A" (which is potential reason 2 in your Phab
> > task). At least in my field (bioinformatics) most do not even know it
> > exists.
>
> Maybe most of them are using Windows ?
> The full proposal also mentions Plasma, which basically means we would not
> only try to get them to use KDE applications, but also to switch their OS to
> Linux...
> So, does this goal include supporting Windows as a first class target
> platform ?

Hi,

We at the French Space Agency use KDE 4 for operations (satellites and rocket
control), and Windows for office work. At CERN and other particle accelerators I
know in Berlin, they use KDE 4 and 3 for operation, variable for office work.

So they/we don't really need to switch our OS...

Cheers,
Olivier