Goal: Making KDE software the #1 choice for science and academia

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Aug 30 10:37:44 BST 2017

> On 30. Aug 2017, at 03:12, Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer
> <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> here is my proposal for a Big Hairy Audacious Goal:
>> Making KDE software the #1 choice for science and academia
>>
>> I think that here is a lot of yet-untapped potential for the usage of KDE
>> products in the research and academic sector, and we should fix that, for their
>> sake and ours.
>>
>> See all the details here: https://phabricator.kde.org/T6895
>>
>> Feedback and contributions very welcome!
>> Cheers,
>> Thomas
>
> Very cool idea, Thomas.

Thanks!

> I think Wikitolearn is a natural part of KDE
> leadership here,

Yes, absolutely! Of course I had WtL in mind as well when developing the idea, but then totally forgot to add it to the proposal. Shame on me. I’ve fixed that now.

> and we could perhaps partner with
> http://openscience.org/ - some of whom got their beginning in KDE. In
> addition, while searching for Open Science, I saw https://osf.io/,
> which is Open Science Framework: A scholarly commons to connect the
> entire research cycle. I can't tell if they have an FOSS connections
> or not, but that orientation to openness and sharing is built into the
> scientific process and the academy.

They have “Free and open source” written on their front page, so they’ve at least heard of the concept ;)
Open Science in general does not necessarily have to include FOSS, but for anyone who takes it seriously, it kinda does, because sharing your data and step-by-step process while still using software that does things you cannot check partially defeats the purpose of the whole endeavor.