Goal: Making KDE software the #1 choice for science and academia

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 02:12:55 BST 2017

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer
<thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> here is my proposal for a Big Hairy Audacious Goal:
> Making KDE software the #1 choice for science and academia
>
> I think that here is a lot of yet-untapped potential for the usage of KDE
> products in the research and academic sector, and we should fix that, for their
> sake and ours.
>
> See all the details here: https://phabricator.kde.org/T6895
>
> Feedback and contributions very welcome!
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Very cool idea, Thomas. I think Wikitolearn is a natural part of KDE
leadership here, and we could perhaps partner with
http://openscience.org/ - some of whom got their beginning in KDE. In
addition, while searching for Open Science, I saw https://osf.io/,
which is Open Science Framework: A scholarly commons to connect the
entire research cycle. I can't tell if they have an FOSS connections
or not, but that orientation to openness and sharing is built into the
scientific process and the academy.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez