Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Privacy Software

Umberto Tozzato umbertotozzato at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 22:00:32 BST 2017

I'm an outsider, so sorry for the intermission, but i think Sebastian goal
is the single most important of all, so I wanted to throw my 2cents.

For several reasons:
- Gnome totally gave up on privacy. They are "integrated" into the
"clouds", and doesn't seems to care.
- It's a real issue. One that nobody so far took to heart seriously enough
IMO
- It's in the media and will become even bigger in the coming years
- starting early it's always a good thing, and having a DE who focuses on
it can spawn other project into focusing themselves into it

BUT, I'd go a little deeper:
- it's not just privacy, it's doing the same things you could do with - say
Google Drive - but with no man-in-the-middle
- also very important is informing the users. Sure, the target user of KDE
is probably aware of the problem, but sometimes you need to be pedantic.
It's like starting a diet where you need a certain amounts of diligence.
Clouds services are delicious cakes, easy to consume and tasty. A privacy
focused program will probably never be as juicy as those (after all, the
amount of ppl working at - say Google Docs - is order of magnitude bigger
compared to LibreOffice), so the choice cannot be based on practicality,
rather on self preservation (eg: you must invert the "path of least
resistance", and impose your will on the issue).

Goodbye and keep up the good job!
--
Umberto