Survey for prioritization of requirements for an IM/chat solution for KDE

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Fri Aug 18 11:01:46 BST 2017

>> The Kano model [1] categorizes features not just in "must have" and "nice to
>> have" but into five categories along two dimensions.
>> This results in a more holistic view on the requirements, at the expense of
>> making the survey quite long because participants have to rate each feature on
>> two dimensions.
>
> Weird... I would say that "I expect" is much stronger than "I like”.

Ah sorry, I realize I have not explained the model properly, sorry for that.

The answer options for each of the two questions do not represent a single dimension, they are not to be regarded in an order.
In the end, a feature falls into one of five categories in the Kano model:
- Must-be
- Attractive
- One-dimensional
- Indifferent

If most respondents select “I expect it this way” on the "How do you feel if this feature is PRESENT?” and "I dislike it this way” on "How do you feel if this feature is ABSENT?”, that would put a feature in the “Must-be” category.
So yes, “I expect” is very strong in that sense.

However, being in the “must-be” category means that having that feature does not make people go “Wow, I like that solution!”, because they expected the feature to be there anyway. It’s just that if a solution does _not_ have it, people are pissed.
So, a solution needs to have all the “must-be” features in order to be accepted, but that alone does not make people /like/ it.

If, however, the majority selects “I like” on the “present” side and “I expect” or “I am neutral” on the “absent” side, that means that this feature is not a must-have, but having it would be really cool, putting that feature in the “attractive” category.

In the end the solution we’d select should be both accepted and liked. If it’s just going to be accepted, we might as well stick with the status quo, as that seems to be accepted (though grumpily by some people). We want more than that, though, because we want to /attract/ new contributors.

So tl;dr: It’s not about what is stronger or weaker, they’re both “strong” in their own sense.

Hoping that helped clear things up a bit,
Thomas