Conservative proposal: let's work with Kiwi IRC

Christian Loosli kde at fuchsnet.ch
Wed Aug 16 12:08:13 BST 2017

Hi,

thanks for posting to the list!

I mostly agree, even though I am unsure of how certain things could be
implemented, e.g.

> * Editing messages

which IRC simply does not support. So my best guess would be that this only
works for people using the Kiwi solution, or the IRC people will see both the
old and the edited message.

Stickers and uploads and whatnot could be handled like the Matrix bridge does,
i.e. IRC users will see a link they can click on to get it. Not ideal, but
still my preferred solution next to the bridges, as:

- based on existing infrastructure
- covers some of the bigger pain points
- has, from what I can see, an okay UI for the "IRC like" point, a more
Telegram like one would have to be coded
- We (freenode) already work with Kwi more or less (more more than less)
closely, so from freenode side this should all be fine

Kind regards,

Christian