Conservative proposal: let's work with Kiwi IRC

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Wed Aug 16 10:58:35 BST 2017

Hello you radicals. I am a KDE user and contributor and a member of The
Document Foundation. Jonathan already referred to my mail on the
LibreOffice projects list, so I might as well branch out here.

I've been working with Kiwi IRC's lead developer Darren for some weeks
now. Today I showed him the "KDE IM requirements" Etherpad contents. He
said he is willing to work with KDE and LibreOffice to provide a modern
messaging solution on top of IRC. Working together would mean we trial
the releases to make sure we are happy with the features. This is
something that I am already doing for Kiwi as a web designer and
battle-hardened bug triager.

I want to note that I was intrigued by Eike's mail about a possible Qt
Quick -based Konversation reboot. I suggested I could try and gather
funding to get it to a releasable state, but he was hesitant because of
the usual issues with FOSS funding (who does the money go to exactly,
how to agree on goals etc.). It would be great to have a desktop client
with a GUI that stands out from the crowd. I proposed funding because I
have a lot of experience in promoting FOSS crowdfunding campaigns,
including Blender and Krita.

The work-in-progress Kiwi Next client can be tested like so:
https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/#irc://irc.freenode.net/kde
You can add more channels separated with commas.

I am including here Darren's thoughts on the KDE IM requirements
Etherpad:

Kiwi Next is the next generation of the Kiwi IRC client, specifically
aiming to bring modern interfaces and ease of use from platforms such as
Slack to IRC.

Many communities have established environments built up around IRC so
any features or additions that Kiwi IRC brings will be 100% IRC
compliant throughout and put to the IRCv3 working group so that other
clients and servers may also make use of the functions.

The UI for Kiwi Next is getting tested on all major browsers including
mobile, with translations being made available for 28 languages to make
sure that anybody trying to be part of a community can do so.

Keeping people connected to IRC so that they may receive notifications
on their desktop and/or mobile is a huge feature currently missing from
IRC. This is currently being developed directly into Kiwi IRC so it is
available out of the box with minimal fuss. Once connected and logged
into your existing network services, a user can then simply resume their
session with complete message history and searching. This is a feature
that will be introduced on kiwiirc.com very soon but also entirely open
source to be used anywhere. Works very similar to ZNC in that Kiwi acts
as a normal IRC client which means any IRC client can make use of the
same server.

A lot of the points mentioned are very much inline with the aims for
Kiwi Next, most likely due to the same mindset: Slack + IRC merged
together with some IRCv3 features thrown in.

Some quick overview points:
* 100% standards compliant
* Part of the IRCv3 working group to improve IRC itself
* Open source with an available hosted solution
* Use existing infrastructure and tools
* Multilingual and accessible
* Web based while still allowing desktop clients to be used
* Has already been tested with thousands of users in a single channel
flood fest
* Built in media preview (images, videos, PDFs, anything that can be
embedded)

Soon to be released:
* Team based channels that supports @everybody highlighting
* Switchable message views such as traditional IRC view and a more
relaxed avatar + relaxed view
* Message reactions (Using IRCv3 standards so they work with other
clients too)

In development at the moment:
* Built in BNC with desktop/mobile notifications
* Use Kiwi IRC and a desktop client on the same account at the same time
(similar to ZNC)
* Message history + searching + exporting
* File sharing by uploading files through the UI, with optional file
history

Not in development but can easily be added into Kiwi Next if required:
* Replying to a message with a reference/quote
* Editing messages
* Annotate images linked/shared through the client
* Stickers between Kiwi clients or between all IRC clients