Telemetry Policy

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Aug 16 10:46:12 BST 2017

On Sunday, 13 August 2017 12:18:16 CEST Christian Loosli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you very much for this work, sounds great!
>
> Only point I have: maybe make sure that the opt-in / default settings are
> not only mandatory for application developers, but also for packagers /
> distributions.
>
> Some distributions have rather questionable views on privacy and by default
> sent information to third parties, so I would feel much more safe if they
> weren't allowed (in theory) to flick the switch in their package by default
> to "on" either.

Valid point, I've added a statement to the policy asking distributors of our
products to respect the rules too.

I don't think we can make this a hard requirement (as in: you lose the right
to distribute our software), in my understanding that would be conflicting with
the freedom guaranteed by the GPL.

Regards,
Volker