Telemetry Policy

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Aug 13 22:33:37 BST 2017

On Sunday 13 August 2017 12:56:27 Martin Flöser wrote:
> Am 2017-08-13 11:47, schrieb Volker Krause:
> > Hi,
> >
> > during the KUserFeedback BoF at Akademy there was quite some
> > interest
> > in
> > collecting telemetry data in KDE applications. But before actually
> > implementing that we agreed to define the rules under which we would
> > want to
> > do that. I've tried to put the input we collected during Akademy
> > into
> > proper
> > wording below. What do you think? Did I miss anything?
>
> To me it looks good!
>
> I have some additional requests:
>   * the collected data must be made available to the public (mostly
> thinking of research institutes here)

I don't think so. And in view of "we do not collect data preemptively or
for exploratory research" I think the draft agrees with me.

AFAIU, the (raw) collected data is meant to be used by us exclusively to
answer specific questions. It is specifically not meant to be used by
random researchers to draw conclusions and publish papers about our
users. I'm not against publishing aggregates like "25 % of the users of
KWin use Wayland", but only once a year or so.

Regards,
Ingo