radical proposal: move IRC to Rocket.Chat

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kde.org
Fri Aug 11 16:20:06 BST 2017

On venerdì 11 agosto 2017 16:25:40 CEST, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On 11 August 2017 at 13:49, Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:
>> I've given some more thought to Matrix as a contender and I'm
>> increasingly liking this option among the available contenders.
>
> Am I right in thinking that the bridging in Matrix/Riot isn't the same
> as various IRC/Telegram channels have where messages are sent between
> them? It seems to be a simple case of making the IRC channels
> available through matrix/riot so you can see both native Matrix
> channels and non-native ones.

Not really, a Matrix client can only speak the matrix protocol. So when you
join an IRC channel from a matrix client, you are joining a normal Matrix
"room" that happens to be bridged with IRC on the server side. For example,
if you upload a picture in that channel a Matrix user will see the picture
while an IRC user will see a normal IRC message with a link to that
picture.