radical proposal: move IRC to Rocket.Chat

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kde.org
Wed Aug 9 09:46:53 BST 2017

On martedì 8 agosto 2017 23:43:25 CEST, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Dienstag, 8. August 2017 22:46:18 CEST Elvis Angelaccio wrote:
>> On martedì 8 agosto 2017 21:46:58 CEST, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
>>> On 8 August 2017 at 20:01, Luigi Toscano
>>> <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote: ...
>>
>> I'm not sure I get this argument. Do we have evidence that new
>> contributors
>> are scared by IRC? How is signin up on RocketChat/Telegram/whatever easier
>> than using http://webchat.freenode.net/ ?
>
> We do have evidence. For example a significant portion of the VDG has never
> been in any of our IRC channels and would never want to go there.
> I bet that the same goes for WtL.

On the other hand, I see new contributors on IRC all the time who ask "hey,
how do I build $app?" or "hey, how do I contribute to KDE?". So maybe
different teams have just different preferences. So I'm still not convinced
that a new contributor is scared away because we use IRC as primary
communication channel.

>> Again, do we have evidence that Rocket chat is more used than IRC or other
>> protocols? I'd be very surprised if that's the case.
>
> Of course rocket.chat is not used more than IRC at the moment. It's still a
> quite new technology.
> I bet that if you'd show some 20-year-old rocket.chat and
> http://webchat.freenode.net/ side-by-side and asked them which one they'd
> prefer, the clear majority would go with the former.
> bet as in put actual money on it.

To be fair, they would also choose github over our current git
infrastructure.
If http://webchat.freenode.net/ is ugly (which is probably true), then
let's point people who prefer fancy UIs to riot.im.