Collecting requirements for a KDE-wide instant messaging solution (was: Re: radical proposal: move IRC to Rocket.Chat)

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Aug 9 08:36:42 BST 2017

On Mittwoch, 9. August 2017 01:59:00 CEST Christian Loosli wrote:

> PS: on the importance of emojis and (animated) stickers: I can see why
> people want them for friends and family, I love the sticker packs I have on
> Telegram. But why it is mandatory in a somewhat more professional
> environment is a bit beyond me, people also still use e-mail despite it
> neither supporting stickers nor emojis  (Well, unless html mails, but thank
> god that at least there we agree that it is an abomination)

It's just that young people do _not_ use email unless absolutely forced to.
There is a reason why it can take days until someone replies to an email on
the VDG mailing list, while the various Telegram groups the VDG is in are
buzzing with activity.
Or why my coworkers (professional environment, but a gaming company so
predominantly people younger than me) hardly ever send an email but do
everything on Slack.

Emoji certainly are not the only reason for that, but they are an important
contributor to making communication on Telegram or Slack feel more natural
than fun than email. Email is not fun at all.

So unless someone can give me an example of an organization younger than 10
years, with predominantly people younger than 25, which uses email as their
main format of text communication, I maintain my statement.