Collecting requirements for a KDE-wide instant messaging solution (was: Re: radical proposal: move IRC to Rocket.Chat)

Christian Loosli kde at fuchsnet.ch
Wed Aug 9 00:59:00 BST 2017

Hi,

in addition to the list Eike gave in his other mail, which I fully agree with,
the following are mandatory:

- Has to run everywhere. Means: desktop, mobile, server, *BSD, Linux, Windows,
Mac ... Maybe doesn't have to run on a smartwatch or toaster, but I'd prefer
to be able to also chime in from a box I am ssh-ed to.

- Not a strain on bandwith. I travel a lot, also abroad, where data is limited
and/or expensive, thus the lower the bandwith usage, the better.

- Not excluding people. We should keep in mind that various people would like
to contribute, including e.g. people with disabilities.The solution should
work with technologies such as screen readers or the likes.
Plus: geographical restrictions, we e.g. have collaborators in China or Russia
(new laws), so using technologies that are banned in some countries can be
tricky.

- Privacy. Should be either fully under KDE control, or hosted by a trusted
third party. Support for things like Tor would be beneficial. No mandatory
disclosure of information to third parties  (names, location etc.)

- Open Source. (Just in case of the "free" having been meant as free in beer,
which it should be as well, or free as in freedom): Open protocol plus a
reference implementation of both client and server as FOSS would be great.

- Migration path is mandatory, moving over to a new place and/or product from
one day to the next is not only likely to be super shaky, but also likely to
split the community into two halves  (seen e.g. when reddit decided to move
their chat system in a very short amount of time, or when Debian moved
networks. Both are now roughly halved and at least with Debian it has been
like that for the better part of a decade)

In general I'd prefer something with an open protocol and, bonus points, a
range of possibilities to connect (web, native desktop and mobile clients,
...) already available. Then I think most people should be able to somehow
participate, regardless of circumstances. I don't think we should cater a
specifc group, neither, quote, nerdy people nor, quote, people < 20 years old.
All have valuable people in it.

Finally I am 100% certain that we won't find a solution which covers all
points seen as mandatory, so maybe we should just collect potentially
interesting points and have people vote on a scale of 1-10 on how important
these are for them. Then based on that we could see what solution (or
solutions, since some do allow bridging in between) are the best compromise.

Kind regards,

Christian

PS: on the importance of emojis and (animated) stickers: I can see why people
want them for friends and family, I love the sticker packs I have on Telegram.
But why it is mandatory in a somewhat more professional environment is a bit
beyond me, people also still use e-mail despite it neither supporting stickers
nor emojis  (Well, unless html mails, but thank god that at least there we
agree that it is an abomination)