Retirement of SVN Commitfilter and Legacy Get Hot New Stuff systems

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Jul 30 07:35:02 BST 2017

Am 2017-07-29 22:18, schrieb Ben Cooksley:
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer
> <olaf at amen-online.de> wrote:
>> Ben Cooksley:
>>> I've checked and it appears that only a small handful of applications
>>> still use newstuff.kde.org:
>>> - KBlocks
>>> - KDiamond
>>> - KGoldRunner
>>> - Kigo
>>> - KSirk
>>> - KSnakeDuel
>>> - KSysguard
>>>
>>> These applications should all be ported to use store.kde.org.
>>
>> How long will it take for users to get the updates? And are we
>> planning to ignore users on, for example, Debian?
>
> That is up to distributions. Unfortunately we need to break things
> from time to time on the server side.
>
> As I mentioned, the web server for newstuff.kde.org has been down for
> several months, so this just makes the current arrangements permanent.
>
> If we had to wait until all users were able to receive an update to
> change something like this we would never be able to make any changes
> to our systems. To give an example, the original GetHotNewStuff
> implementation as used by many KDE 3 and early KDE 4 applications
> still receives a large number of requests.

But that is a point for not breaking it! If we still have users, we
shouldn't break it!

Seriously that is one of the points where we can significantly differ
from proprietary providers where random stuff breaks because services
get shut down.

Is there no way to redirect it in a way that it can continue to work?

Cheers
Martin