Retirement of SVN Commitfilter and Legacy Get Hot New Stuff systems

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Jul 29 21:18:25 BST 2017

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer
<olaf at amen-online.de> wrote:
> Ben Cooksley:
>>I've checked and it appears that only a small handful of applications
>>still use newstuff.kde.org:
>>- KBlocks
>>- KDiamond
>>- KGoldRunner
>>- Kigo
>>- KSirk
>>- KSnakeDuel
>>- KSysguard
>>
>>These applications should all be ported to use store.kde.org.
>
> How long will it take for users to get the updates? And are we planning to ignore users on, for example, Debian?

That is up to distributions. Unfortunately we need to break things
from time to time on the server side.

As I mentioned, the web server for newstuff.kde.org has been down for
several months, so this just makes the current arrangements permanent.

If we had to wait until all users were able to receive an update to
change something like this we would never be able to make any changes
to our systems. To give an example, the original GetHotNewStuff
implementation as used by many KDE 3 and early KDE 4 applications
still receives a large number of requests.

The original GHNS system produced static files, which is why it can
continue to function (it doesn't get any new updates). The
implementation on newstuff.kde.org is dynamic and therefore can't be
retained.

> Another question: The KDE website still uses SVN and used to auto-update after commits. Will this continue to work?

That will continue to work, our systems communicate directly to action that.

> Best regards, Olaf

Cheers,
Ben