Retirement of SVN Commitfilter and Legacy Get Hot New Stuff systems

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Jul 29 21:22:51 BST 2017

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 5:38 AM, Martin Flöser <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> Am 2017-07-29 13:28, schrieb Ben Cooksley:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last year sysadmin was given access to the system which hosts the SVN
>> Commitfilter (which lived at commitfilter.kde.org) and the predecessor
>> to the OCS network of sites (now store.kde.org).
>>
>> Earlier this year we started having some issues with that system
>> courtesy of some bots. As a consequence of this the web server
>> component of the machine was disabled then to limit issues it was
>> causing for the hoster.
>>
>> Due to the age of the system and the limited use of the two services
>> hosted on the system (with SVN Commitfilter having very limited
>> application since our migration to Git) we've determined that the best
>> course of action is to archive both services and shutdown the machine.
>>
>> I've checked and it appears that only a small handful of applications
>> still use newstuff.kde.org:
>> - KBlocks
>> - KDiamond
>> - KGoldRunner
>> - Kigo
>> - KSirk
>> - KSnakeDuel
>> - KSysguard
>>
>> These applications should all be ported to use store.kde.org.
>

> Does that mean all those applications our users use will have GHNS broken?
> New software does not magically get installed on users systems.

The GHNS support in the above mentioned applications will be broken yes.
Any older releases of other applications which relied on
newstuff.kde.org (you can check your knsrc files to confirm this) will
also be affected.

As I mentioned in my earlier email, this is simply making current
arrangements permanent, as they're already broken due to the web
server being down.

> Could you please clarify what this will mean e.g. for users of KWin 4.11?
> Will GHNS still work or will it be broken due to the service being shut
> down.

If KWin 4.11 uses newstuff.kde.org then GHNS will have ceased to work
for those users several months back.
If it used kde-look.org / store.kde.org or
download.kde.org/khotnewstuff/ as the url in it's knsrc then it will
not be affected.

> Cheers
> Martin

Cheers,