Retirement of SVN Commitfilter and Legacy Get Hot New Stuff systems

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Jul 29 12:45:58 BST 2017

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Luigi Toscano
<luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Ben Cooksley ha scritto:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last year sysadmin was given access to the system which hosts the SVN
>> Commitfilter (which lived at commitfilter.kde.org) and the predecessor
>> to the OCS network of sites (now store.kde.org).
>>
>> Earlier this year we started having some issues with that system
>> courtesy of some bots. As a consequence of this the web server
>> component of the machine was disabled then to limit issues it was
>> causing for the hoster.
>>
>> Due to the age of the system and the limited use of the two services
>> hosted on the system (with SVN Commitfilter having very limited
>> application since our migration to Git) we've determined that the best
>> course of action is to archive both services and shutdown the machine.
>
> (I think that the answer is "no", but): does it affect that IRC notifications?

IRC Notifications are handled through a separate mechanism so they
won't be affected by this.

You can change the rules surrounding commit, bug and CI notifications
by changing the appropriate notifications.cfg files in
https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/irc-notifications.git

> It's worth noting that when we will switch to Phabricator for handling SVN
> too, we could build something around it instead of some custom code.

Indeed. Phabricator has an application called Herald which could
conceivably do this (only it's much, much more powerful - if you see
'Restricted Application' in your review or task emails that's Herald).

Unfortunately however there is a performance penalty to be paid of 1ms
per Herald rule for each action taken in Phabricator - something that
would impact on commenting on tasks and reviews among other things.
This is why we have restricted it to only broader community wide
actions (like adding project mailing lists) at the moment.

>> I've checked and it appears that only a small handful of applications
>> still use newstuff.kde.org:
>> - KBlocks
>> - KDiamond
>> - KGoldRunner
>> - Kigo
>> - KSirk
>> - KSnakeDuel
>> - KSysguard
>>
>> These applications should all be ported to use store.kde.org.
>
> We have few days to fix most of them (the games part of Applications 17.08.0;
> KSysguard is Plasma). Can you wait please few days so that we can fix them
> properly (and compare the before/after)?

The web interface for newstuff.kde.org has been down for the past
couple of months, so these applications should have been broken for a
while now. We certainly can wait for a couple of days though.

> Ciao
> --
> Luigi

Cheers,