Proposal: Have the Community Set Ambitious Goals for Itself

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jul 25 15:59:47 BST 2017

Dear Community,

Based on the mission and strategy discussions on this list and during Akademy,
some of the Akademy attendees had a BoF where they discussed topics like
direction, cohesion, creativity, and ambition.

The outcome of that discussion is that we would like to suggest a bottom-up
process aiming at finding concrete goals to work towards.

The suggestion is to set up a yearly tradition to collect a number of goals
from the contributor community, then determine the three most important topics
(via a vote) and push them forward until completion.

To give you an idea of the type of goals the community could come up with,
here are a few made up examples:
  - Improving the Developer Story: a new contributor should be able to create
his first patch to any KDE application in 15 minutes or less;
  - Big in Asia: users in Asia should be able to write in their writing system
in any of the software produced by KDE;
  - Appeal to All our Senses: a visually impaired user should be able to use
all the software produced by KDE;
  - Virtual Reality Painting: artists should be able to paint in 3D straight
from a VR world using software produced by KDE;
  - Speaking Your Language: 90% of the computer users worldwide should be able
to use the software produced by KDE in a language in which they are fluent.

What we are trying to achieve with this proposal is aligning the community
efforts and attracting new contributors. Of course, that doesn't mean that a
contributor not interested in a particular goal would be forced to work on it.

That's why the main purpose of getting your proposal to be highly-voted is the
exposure and attention that it will receive from the wider community. In
addition, the 3 most popular proposals will be supported by sponsorship for a
sprint and an opportunity to present at the next Akademy.

Concretely, the process would look like this:
 1) groups of people get together to write proposals;
 2) proposals would be announced to the community;
 3) a discussion period of one month would then follow;
 4) every contributor (as defined by the contributor flag in KDE identity
server) can then vote for the proposals, by sorting them by order of
preference;
 5) the result of the vote is the final sorted list.

A good proposal would include a rationale, would give an indication of the
feasibility, should be ambitious while being reachable in less than 4 years
and would ideally not come from a single person but a group of contributors.

We think this approach would do a great deal to foster innovation and join our
efforts. Let's kick start this tradition together and celebrate all the great
ideas floating in the community, shall we?

Cheers!
--
Kévin Ottens
Lydia Pintscher