Applications Lifecycle Policy

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Wed Jul 5 12:56:55 BST 2017

Harald Sitter ha scritto:
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Christian Mollekopf

>>From where I am standing we should have a stage before playground.
> Scratch repos if you will (although those are slated for deprecation
> without replacement). This addresses the code-dumping github-like use
> case, no tickets, little overhead. If it doesn't work out you throw it
> away. This gives us an actual playground: "I need no translations, no
> CI, no nothing, I am prototyping here" (think pre-alpha). From there
> it can proceed to playground (alpha stage). This is automatically a
> submission for continuous(?) casual review. It is at this point under
> joint ownership so we ought to assert our policies hence the casual
> review. Once ready (as determined by the authors) it moves to
> frameworks/plasma/applications.
> I understand this is a bit of a hippie workflow, but think about it
> this way: the reason we don't just review playground is that it's
> potentially little to no code and/or heavily rotating code, neither of
> which makes it easy to do a review. If the software is out of initial
> protoyping we have code to review and it's far less rotating already
> (the degree of rotation matters little, as the assumption continues to
> be that once we assert our policies they will get continuously
> implemented by the author). At the same time this removes almost all
> the policy overhead of moving from playground to the final
> destination. The code is already reviewed, all it takes is a ticket to
> become a proper application.
>
> TLDR: instead of making people not get too comfortable in playground
> make them more likely to want to move to applications (by making that
> super easy)

My first question after reading is: what is the difference between
playground -> kdereview -> other
and
scratch -> playground -> other
?

Still a 2 phase process. Maybe the only change is that playground would be
less time limited than the current kdereview.
I would say that moving from scratch -> playground would be probably
announced, like the current move to kdereview; I only fear that a more
implicit (even if announced) call to review would be less effective than the
current one (with all its limitations).

--
Luigi