latest draft for mission (and strategy)

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Jul 5 11:17:10 BST 2017

Hello,

On Tuesday, 4 July 2017 22:28:24 CEST Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On 2017 M07 2, Sun 03:43:57 CEST Kevin Ottens wrote:
>
> > In my opinion our answer to "where we want to go" was supposed to be
> > something else than "nowhere in particular". Then I think we're falling
> > very short on that. We face a problem, and instead of putting our efforts
> > to find where to go to solve it, we're been pouring over the years massive
> > efforts into describing where we currently are. That's understandable but
> > it means we went off track in my opinion. If we stop at what we got so
> > far, we're in my opinion falling into a kind of conservatism trap. The
> > community will stay put and will keep shrinking as people loose interest
> > and less new blood gets in.
>
> Are you saying somewhere in those documents we should say what we actually
> want to accomplish ?
> Maybe not only on a community level, but on a software level  ?
> If so, I agree.

Somewhat yes (see my other probably more detailed answer to sebas). As long as
it's not used as a mean for exclusion.

For instance, I'd totally be fine with us saying "OK, open data is our strong
focus for the next five years, as such we'll try to push further projects in
that category like WikiToLearn". Probably wouldn't be my personal agenda (I'm
proud we got WikiToLearn in our midst and I got no personal motivation to work
on it). Assuming I'd be a Plasma contributor, I would still be able to work on
Plasma anyway which would be more to my liking. But, knowing our focus for the
next five years, having it on the back of my mind, I would likely be more
proactive in talking about WikiToLearn when staffing a booth taking the time
to look at it, I would likely keep an eye open for cross-pollination between
Plasma and WikiToLearn.

IOW, knowing the organization as a whole decided on some sort of direction at
least for a while would prompt me into looking beyond my usual comfort zone.
By doing that with the two examples above we might see a stronger influx of
contributors in the current focus zone ('cause promo) who are more likely to
then also look at the other stuff we do ('cause cross-pollination).

Without seeking these kind of dynamics, we keep repeating the same old recipes
as we're doing now stuck in an ever shrinking prisoner dilemma.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net