Applications Lifecycle Policy

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 4 22:04:08 BST 2017

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017, at 01:20 PM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> The applications lifecycle policy needs an update
>
> Is this a good current state of it or are there more stages?
>
> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Application_Lifecycle/Draft

Looks good to me for what it currently is.

In general I think:
* it should be ok to release from playground for years, or even
potentially forever.
* going to extragear/applications should be an extra quality badge where
you sign up for certain requirements (which is why I think it should be
possible to release from extragear forever. Perhaps some project is just
not interested in translations for instance...)
* Abolishing the extragear/applications differentiation at this level
would make more sense to me (extragear does have a second class feel to
it), instead applications should just declare that they are part of the
applications release. This would indeed also ease transitioning between
releases and dealing with the versioning should be up to the maintainers
(of course versions that go down are not at all something that should be
accepted ever anywhere).

Cheers,
Christian