KDE licence policy update

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Fri Feb 10 23:37:23 GMT 2017

Jonathan Riddell ha scritto:

> The main change is for docs and other non-code files to become
> CC-BY-SA 4.  This allows it to be converted to code (it's one-way
> compatible with LGPL 3)
Do you have more details for this? I see contradicting information, it does
not seem to be totally future proof (even if I hope that we won't see a GPLv4
before my retirement, but... that would be too much I guess):
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/creative-commons-by-sa-4-0-declared-one-way-compatible-with-gnu-gpl-version-3
(hint about GPLv3 only)

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-compatibility.en.html -> "Unfortunately,
CC-BY-SA 4.0 does not permit relicensing to future GPL versions. What you
should do, when you relicense material under CC-BY-SA 4.0 to the GPL, is
specify yourself as a license version proxy to indicate whether future GPL
versions have been authorized for that material. If someday there is a GPL
version 4 and Creative Commons decides to allow relicensing from CC-BY-SA to
GPL version 4, you as proxy will be able to retroactively authorize use of
that relicensed material under GPL version 4. (Alternatively, you can ask the
authors of that material to give permission right away.)"

Can we setup a process so that we don't need to rework everything in the future?

--
Luigi