Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:55:56 GMT 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Kenny Duffus <kenny at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 03:41:59 GMT, Ken Vermette wrote:
>>
>> I think he might be right, only the trademark is still Canonical.
>> Development is supported primarily by... ... Blue Systems? Rush? The
>> community? The Tragically Hip? Valorie? Nickelback?

NICKLEBACK! Oh, how cruel! We are at this point community supported.

>> ... Either way, I personally look at the lineage and say that's good
>> enough
>> for me, at least for the first year. If nothing else and we do something
>> along those lines, I'd pony up €100 myself for the first year.

Ken, you are very sweet to offer. I would rather see the money go
directly to the KDE e.V. though.

> I think you are starting to head off at a bit of a tangent, the issue isn't
> regarding monetary costs.
>
> The only small number of objections to the current request seem to be
> theoretical/political and even then don't seem to think that in the end it
> is really a huge deal.
>
> There is minimal sysadmin time required for the current request, in fact far
> more sysadmin time has been sucked up by this thread I would expect.
>
> Obviously as sysadmins volunteer their time and doing extra things puts a
> bit more strain on them it wouldn't be fair to ask for lots of things not
> directly related to our community.
>
> I also think that Valorie may have clouded the issue slightly by using
> ambiguous terms in what she described in the initial mail which could have
> made some peoples minds start to run wild. As Nicolás has said adding the
> phab stuff is only a few minutes work which seems to have been dwarfed by
> this discussion.

Sorry about that. Yes, we just wanted a workboard.

> This thread could probably continue for ever not really getting anywhere
> new. The point of the start of this thread was more the issue of precedent
> rather than the actual request. I think that it may be hard to come up with
> guidance on strict what is ok and what isn't based on infinite
> possibilities.
> A number of people have expressed the view that if we can help with things
> that get KDE products into peoples hands without a big effort then it seems
> like the nice and right thing to do.
>
> I would suggest that if any of the sysamins are happy to do this then they
> should just be encouraged to go ahead and get it done and everyone move on.
>
> --
>
>         Kenny

I'm happy to say that Ben has set us up. I'm happy to know that the
KDE community appreciates the work that Kubuntu and other distros do
in packaging and distributing KDE software. I hope that as time goes
on, we grow even closer and work together more efficiently.

All the best,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez