Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jan 15 22:09:52 GMT 2017

On 2017 M01 14, Sat 16:53:19 CET Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2017 11:18:07 CET Harald Sitter wrote:
> > Manifesto says one of our values is "Inclusivity to ensure that all
> > people are welcome to join us and participate;". Be inclusive, give
> > Kubuntu and Fedora a place on phab to manage their todos. Costs us
> > nothing, helps our friends make their product which features our
> > products better. If either starts calling themselves a KDE project or
> > misrepresents their association with KDE, hit them with the manifesto
> > bat.
>
> Let me add to that: Any distribution or spin shipping our software is of
> course welcome to become a KDE project as well (from KDE's side, at least).
> neon was the first to ask for that, but it's not exclusive.

well, I wouldn't put it this way.
Regarding neon we had a major discussion whether it is a good idea that KDE
starts to put his toes into distro waters. I am myself not really decided,
both sides have valid points.
The "vision" discussion resulted in a nice statement, which avoids mentioning
what we do (or do not do) completely.
The "mission" discussion has paused for some months now...
I think there is still the split between people seeing KDE as an organization
"supporting all kinds of FLOSS-related projects" (as the last eV report puts
it), and people seeing KDE as an organization developing (Qt-based) end-user
software.

Extending KDE's scope to distros is, so to say, extending it vertically, which
is a reasonable idea with pros and cons worth discussion, but it's not a no-
brainer. Extending KDE's scope to Wikis, is extending it horizontally, which
is IMO even more worth discussion.

OTOH, "being nice" towards friends is something where there is I think more or
less unanimous agreement in the KDE community.

Alex