Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Sun Jan 15 09:10:41 GMT 2017

+1 for being nice.

One thing I'd like to add is that while the Fedora and Ubuntu are not
KDE projects (nor that they can be if we take the previous claims that
they do not have the same goals as us), that does not mean that the
project to provide KDE software for those distributions can not be a
KDE project.

Why would Neon be special? Neon did not strictly start as a part of
KDE community (this was a reason mentioned why it is ok for Neon and
KDE-FreeBSD). We voted on to allow it to be a KDE project - it already
existed before that, albeit for a short time. From my point of view,
denying this request to Kubuntu people would just be plain wrong - it
is a distribution that is based on something that is not under KDE's
control just like it is the case with Neon and KDE-FreeBSD.

TL;DR While Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE are not KDE projects, that does
not mean that the projects of making KDE-versions of popular
distributions are not.

Cheers,
Ivan