Extent of KDE helping downstreams (was Re: Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure)

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Sat Jan 14 14:54:10 GMT 2017

Il giorno Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:20:15 +0100
Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> ha scritto:

[renamed the discussion so that it drifts away from Valorie's request
onto something else, and doesn't distract from her question]

> I'm having a terrible time understanding the nature of the line in
> the sand you'd like to draw. What does the Venn diagram look like to

The line would be: distros (*any* distro) on the side, KDE on the
other. The reasoning is non technical, as I said, mainly because even
if distros are Free Software, their goals and objectives may not always
fit within KDE.

On the other hand (I *need* to point this out), some distros have
definite issues with their infrastructure for handling KDE software
(Fedora and Kubuntu, for different reasons).

> you? Frankly I'd rather not have FreeBSD be "the special case" if it
> comes to that.

Luigi in the follow up mail explained better what I meant.

> Then there's KDE Argon, Xenon and others .. different base distro's,

Argon and Krypton are not KDE projects, they're openSUSE community
things, they do not use KDE infrastructure at all (except downloading
stuff from KDE git).

> efforts -- then I still don't see how that translates to "KDE doesn't
> help downstream in any way", which is kind of how I interpret your

"Help" perhaps is a bit too vague. I'm a downstream (openSUSE) as well
as an upstream: I wear both hats. I'm *all* for KDE helping
downstreams, in fact I think that with things like distribution
outreach and other people actively seeking distro input KDE is helping
a lot more than before.

What I object to is having downstreams use KDE infrastructure (including
workboards and Phab) for distro-specific things (even if limited to KDE
packaging). Personally I try to keep things entirely separate.

That said, if the majority of the community wants to do that anyway,
it's not like I'll commit suicide tomorrow. ;)

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B