KDE on Fedora maybe? [was: Re: Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure]

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Thu Jan 12 11:27:36 GMT 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Helio Chissini de Castro
<helio at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:42:37 AM CET Luca Beltrame wrote:
>
>> Il giorno Sun, 08 Jan 2017 10:10:55 +0000
>
>> Helio Chissini de Castro
>

>> <heliocastro at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> > I requested similar thing for doing Fedora similar things and simply
>
>> > the
>

>> Interesting. Were there any motivations for this?
>

>> (Notice that my objections are also valid for any distro, so I don't
>
>> think that even the KDE Fedora bits should use KDE infrastructure).
>

> Simple, despite we have a strong KDE packaging team, and even we're kind of
> now working together with Mageia KDE team as well, we do have a
> distribuition that has a default Gnome desktop, and all efforts on main
> distribution and the only official build is Gnome based.
>

> So, doesn't matter our efforts, KDE will not be included as default in
> Fedora, or RedHat. It's a businnes choice. And then, each new release we do
> not have a similar KDE spin that is sanctioned on both Fedora and parent
> RedHat company, or even by KDE project.
>
> We do have a KDE spin, but is considered a second class citizen on launch as
> not even possible polished as Neon, since at first any resource to make a
> seamless distro is made towards Gnome.
>
> There's several hard work from some packagers, like Rex Dieter, the lead on
> the KDE Sig, or Kevin Kofler that is been fighting for years to create a KDE
> only spin ( btw, he made his first try recently )
>

> So, the reasonable on have Fedora resources on KDE server, and the vm
> itself, is have a continuos build on Fedora platform as well "the reference
> Neon" that garantee the results of a KDE software will be the same quality
> on launch day, and even using a sane KDE defaults. With this would be easy
> at every new Fedora launch day we have at least a beatiful KDE stable as
> well like Kubuntu did and now Neon, and any other KDE based distro.
>
> Having the software been in CI and garanteed work with latest compilations
> and commits will free us to conecntrate in integrate the rest of KDE parts
> with the distro specifics.

FWIW, I think from what you describe it would make more sense to
consider incubating "KDE on Fedora" as a proper KDE project to get all
the benefits that come with that.

Since there is no Fedora CLA anymore I figure this should be a doable
thing. Albeit with some imaginary line drawn between what is Fedora
(i.e. KDE SIG) activity and what is KDE activity with the two working
in tandem and for all intents and purposes being run by largely the
same people.

In particular the build side of the SIG's activity seems like a handy
thing to have for both sides as it allows yet more pre-release
exposure to production platforms (i.e. knowing that everything builds
on Fedora is, as you mentioned, a very helpful thing). I am biased
towards everything continuous, so I may be a bit biased here ^^

Has this ever been considered and discussed?

HS