Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 22:58:32 GMT 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 4:33 AM, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, January 08, 2017 12:02:06 AM Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> However, the sysadmins would like the KDE community support for this,
>> since it could be seen as a "slippery slope." In addition, Ben
>> Cooksley said, "we'll need to come up with some guidelines surrounding
>> what distributions can ask us for, given the Manifesto / KDE Project
>> rules.
>
> Hi Valorie,
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.
>
> For me, it seems like you're drawing a Venn diagram, with a circle of "distro
> people" on one side, and a circle of "KDE infrastructure", and saying that an
> overlap between the two is problematic. I'm not sure why that's a problem, nor
> even why the two circles are expected to be distinct.
>
> Consider the KDE-FreeBSD packagers. That's not one of the "big three", but it
> is a distro in a non-Linuxy sense of the word. Heck, there's even *two*
> trademarks in the name there! So this group of people self-identifies as "the
> KDE-FreeBSD community of packagers". The people within that community vary
> from almost-pure-FreeBSD-folks (e.g. mat_) to almost-pure-KDE-folks (e.g. me).
> It's still a single group with a particular purpose, namely to bring KDE
> software to the OS (platform, distro, whatever).
>
> It seems to be natural to use whatever infrastructure is most convenient or
> most apposite. We (KDE-FreeBSD) have a *.kde.org subdomain for posting news
> and information, keep some *base.kde.org wiki pages with information for KDE
> users and people wanting to contribute, and use KDE phab, git, etc. when
> upstreaming patches.
>
> We *also* use FreeBSD phab for dealing with downstream workflow, the wiki there
> for progress reports, the bug tracker there, etc.
>
> As for general collaborative things, whichever pastebin is handy gets used;
> whichever notes-taking app is around gets used. I don't think we spend -- or
> want to spend -- a lot of time thinking about which one gets used.
>
> So for me, it seems like either a non-problem (because KDE-FreeBSD is pretty
> small) or there's something not expressed here that lies behind your question.
>
> [ade]

As the first responses to my questions show, some DO draw those Venn
diagrams. To me, if there is one, it is mostly overlap. What I do for
Kubuntu is for KDE, and what I do for KDE helps Kubuntu.

Bottom line: we would like a Phab instance so that we can use the task
board, and perhaps the built-in wiki. The sysadmins want the KDE
Community to give the yea or nay to that request, and perhaps clarify
in the Manifesto what KDE infra can be used by "non" KDE projects.

I want all distributions and other groups such as the Mac/Win/BSD
folks who package KDE software to be loved by KDE folks, and welcomed
to use KDE infrastructure.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez